Monday, January 14, 2008

Juno what I watched? Juno! And I loved it.



Greetings True Believers!

I finally got the chance to check out Juno last week, and it is as good as I have hoped. I saw the trailer about 2 months ago, and I told myself then, "I must see this....it looks GREAT!" And I was right. It's always fun for a picture to come out of left field, and be spectacular. It's my job to know what is coming up moviewise.....so I have a good idea what to expect for the entire year.....but when a surprise like this comes out....I am pleased as punch.

I love to be surprised. I stay away from reviews and clips of films I know I'm going to see. I'll see a trailer once....but if I see it again, I begin my annoying photographic memory stuff...and it ruins the film a bit for me. Have you ever has a film ruined by the trailer? I like trailers that show something exciting from the beginning.......or a bunch of fast clips where you have no idea what's happening. But when they give away more than half of the film.......I get angry.

I'll never forget the original Matrix. I went in, not knowing what the heck was going on. And the terrific story and effects where like Christmas morning....because not alot of hype went into it...and the surprises were there intact.

Back to Juno, what an exhilirating movie experience. The first hour was what I had expected....a nice dark comedy.....but wow, it veers into dangerous territory....and comes out a champ. Ellen Page is a revelation, a young girl who finds adults are as screwed up as she thinks she is...... She plays a character that is scared, strong, knows what she wants....but maybe doesn't know how to get it.

It's a film I'll remember for a long time....and it would have been high on my top ten list if I had been able to see it in 2007. I recommend you see it.

Have a good week,

J

1 comment:

Mike David said...

It's funny that in talking about trailers giving away the movie you mention The Matrix. I think that the original trailer for the Matrix is probably the BEST trailer for a movie ever made. It raised the question of "What is the Matrix" but it did not tell you, it made you want to go see the movie to find out. It was exactly what a movie trailer should be, a tantalizing tease that leaves you begging for more. Of coarse it helps when the actual movie delivers on that tease.