Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Watching too many numbers



Wow. I don't know if you're like me, but I am keeping a constant eye on the financial markets. The past 2 weeks, I've been watching the up and down financial markets, like I'm keeping an eye on sports scores.

All day, I'm either watching the numbers online, or on TV. Do I know exactly what it means if it goes up, or down. Not really. It just is a major bummer, fearing the major unknown. Depending on who you listen to, things could be headed for disaster, or this is a financial hiccup.

Whatever it is, it sucks.

In our lives, we have enough to worry about. Rent, gas, family, friends....the added stress of this credit crunch is just another distraction, getting in the way of normal life.

My theory on it all, is its the final ripple from 9/11. After that horrific day, nobody knew what was going to happen.

Advertising went down....which is the reason hard alcohol was once again allowed to advertise on TV. If you see cigarettes on TV again, its really getting bad.

This went down for a while, but things seemed to rebound. One reason for the rebound, car dealers and housing people took any customer they could....and many stuck loans to people they never would have approved in the past. Just to get things moving. And now, we're suffering from those loans going bad.

Who knows what's going to happen? I have faith in our system, and it will check itself out....but that doesn't check any of my anxiety for our current situation.

I look forward to the day, I don't watch the financial markets like a hawk. But I don't see that day coming anytime soon.

J



No comments: