Monday, August 25, 2008

Bad Dates.........



We find ourselves kind of in the dead zone of entertainment. The Summer Movie Season is over, and the Fall TV Season has yet to begin. So I'm going to go a little off subject today.....and talk about bad dates.

I envy you folks who have a happy relationship with your significant other. It's tough out here, putting your self out there, when odds are it'll fail, and you need to start over again.

Bad dates come from many places. You get set up by friends, find someone online, etc. My experience has been that most of my "good" dates, have come from someone I met, and asked out. The odds of a bad date go way up when its blind. But darn it, the payoff is such, that the risk is worth it. Right?

There was a time when (GASP!) I sold cars. (Needed to pay off a lease for 6 months...seemed like the best thing to do at the time) The biggest soul sucking experience of my life. Anywho, I had a female customer who seemed normal and we kind of hit it off. I didn't say anything since she was a customer, but she called me 2 weeks later, and asked me out. Sweet!....or so I thought. So I invited her to a Seattle Sushi joint, and we met the following day.

I dressed in a nice shirt, fashionable jeans, and good shoes.....not dressy, but nice. She shows up late (Not good), in a decidedly non dressy fashion. Fine, whatever....I'll try and give her the benefit of the doubt, but c'mon! So we sit down and conversation is OK. We proceed to talk about books.....I tell her I've been reading the latest Harry Potter Book....and she tells me that she doesn't read those, because......Here it comes...(If you've ever seen the show Blind Date, they like to do a timed countdown to the end of the date...when one of them makes an unrecoverable gaffe) So 3....2....1....- "I don't read books about magic, because if I read about magic, I believe it comes true." I actually had to pause, and ask her to explain it. During which I ordered another round of drinks to dull the pain.

Honestly, God bless her. She thought enough of me to ask me out, and was honest with me......but that doesn't qualify for a 2nd date. I spoke to her one more time afterward, and that was that.

The thing about a bad date, is you go into it with the best of hopes. Maybe this time, I'll meet a cool person to have fun with. But then, you're stuck with someone for 3 hours, when you'd much rather be ANYWHERE else.

Bad Dates are a fact of life....and until I cancel my membership to Bachelor's R Us, I think I'll be having more of them.

Do you have a bad date story? Please share.

I promise to have more pop culture talk next time (Hey, I did mention Harry Potter and Blind Date!)

Have a good week,

Jason

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had a boyfriend think he was being sweet and made me dinner. Turns out he forgot I couldn't eat pork, And made Spaghetti with Sausage meatballs. I spent the entire night sick, and broke up with him soon after. Nothing ruins a relationship, than trying to poison your date!