Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Summer Movie Forecast Part 1- May

Hey kids, we are less than a month away from the start of the Summer Movie Season!!!!! I'm thinking this will be a very good summer for movies indeed. Let's take a look.

May 2- IRON MAN

I am completely amped up for this one. Being a LONG time fan of the comic hero, the film makers have taken Shellhead seriously. From the inspired casting of Robert Downey Jr. as billionaire Tony Stark....to hiring director John Favreau....this looks like an absolute winner. Marvel has done something very wise, and smart. They have developed the first weekend of May into their weekend.....with the X-mens and Spiderman films opening at this time. We also have a fun alert, where Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) will cameo in the Incredible Hulk later this summer. Very cool. Iron Man should set the Gold......or Metal standard in terms of box office for the rest of the summer.

May 9- SPEED RACER

This is one of those films that is either going to be a complete dud, or fantastic. There is no middle ground to be had here. The Wachowski brothers are back, for the first time since their Matrix Trilogy. There's alot of people who know of Speed Racer.....and the trailer looks beautiful....but will it work. I hope it does....but I have my doubts.

May 16- THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA- PRINCE CASPIAN

I enjoyed the first movie in the Narnia 7-part series.......and this one does feature the kids from the first film. The boys from Saturday Night Live can unleash another "I like the Chronic....what?.....Chronicles of Narnia!" Schtick. This film has a built in audience that should support it well. It will be interesting to see if Narnia will have the legs of the Potter series.

May 22- INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDON OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL

This is it. This is a film that MUST be good. The last Indy film, the Last Crusade was a very fun romp. Early looks at this picture look like it may be the same. It's nice Marion is back, and Cate Blanchette as an evil rival of Indy's can't be bad. Here's hoping George Lucas doesn't infect the Indy series as he did the Star Wars series. I have high hopes for this one, as does about everyone in America.........so I hope they don't let us down.

May 30- SEX AND THE CITY

Carrie and Company are back from the hit HBO series. I have to admit I never checked out the original show, but if you listen to the ladies around the office....this is THE MOVIE OF THE SUMMER. I'll check it out......I have a feeling it'll be like a non-fan watching a Star Trek movie. Time will tell.

I'll have a look a June next.....with Pixar....a mad Green Guy....and Steve Carell.

No comments: