Monday, November 24, 2008

One of my favorite words- The Gooch



In our personal lexicon...we all have words that are unique to ourselves. Maybe we turn a phrase with our own personal touch to make it our own. I'm notorious for this....I use "Ding Dong" very liberally....to describe idiots....or even just a thing. I use it because it can usually get a laugh from someone who hasn't heard it before.

That brings me to "The Gooch". The first time I had heard of "The Gooch", he was Arnold Jackson's nemesis on Diff'rent Strokes. Jerry O'Connell character even refers to bad karma as "a Gooch" in Stand by Me.

The Gooch also, just sounds funny. The Gooch, as I most usually refer to it as, is the McGuffin...the unique plot twist, identifier, or whatever that makes it stand out. For example (If you haven't seen the Sixth Sense....skip to the next paragraph) "The Gooch" of the Sixth Sense, is Bruce Willis has actually been dead the entire film.

Also...in a tough crossword puzzle, such as the Sunday New York Times....they have a unique theme clue for a number of its answers. When me and my Dad figure it out....we tell the other that we got "the Gooch" of the puzzle.

Words are fun.

J

No comments: