Thursday, February 7, 2008

End of an Era- HBO's Inside the NFL Gone


I have to tell you.....when a network decides to cancel a series......it should give warning. A notice so fans can prepare for the last show.....and give a proper goodbye.

Last night.....I sat down to watch Inside the NFL on HBO......their final one of the season to see the peerless NFL Films highlights from Super Bowl 42. During the tease....Bob Costas says that, and much more coming up on the final Inside the NFL. Wait........I'm thinking he's got to mean final of the season right!.....RIGHT? But he would have said season finale, and my fears were realized when they announced this was indeed the final episode ever. Not a good week for co-host Cris Carter....missing the cut for the Hall of Fame.....AND losing his one TV job.

First....let's go back 30 years. I'm a young pup who loves two things besides his family......the Pittsburg Steelers and the NFL. I live in Missoula Montana, and my family just got HBO. What a channel....movies, kids shows......and this little show about the NFL, Inside the NFL. In those days....Thursday nights were set aside to see the highlights from that weeks game. But it just wasn't a highlight show, they got into the guts of the NFL......and gave insight that was not found anywhere. And the highlights from NFL Films....with the music and the booming voice......help make change football from a game, to myth.

The two hosts, Len Dawson and Nick Buoniconti, made the show work. Hall of Famers and Super Bowl Champs alike, they were two different gentlemen, who gave there insight to the game, and had fun doing it as well. I will always have mucho admiration to those two.

The show's lineup changed as time went on. Their first addition was Cris Collingsworth....who for me, played for the hated Cinncinati Bengals. So I of course hated him. But he grew on me, and is one of the best in the broadcast game. CRAZY ex-coach Jerry Glanville was added. Making the show almost a free for all when he was on screen. Dan Marino came on. Then five years ago, Len and Nick were bumped for new host Bob Costas....and co host Cris Carter.

Having a habit for 30 years is hard to drop. On their last show last night, they had the class to bring Nick and Len back to give proper closure to the show they built.

HBO's decision stems from the number of NFL shows, and the network making the show obsolete. Well I disagree. No show was able to get away with frank talk like INFL was able to do It is a shame.

As for me. I am glad I was able to say goodbye. With the Sopranos gone....and Inside the NFL shoved under the bus. I'm cancelling HBO for the first time in many a moon.

Thanks Len, Nick, Jerry, Cris x 2, Dan, and Bob for a great 30 years.

J

No comments: