Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Advent Calendars....and an early gift




I have always enjoyed advent calendars. I was the child who needed something else to focus on than counting the days...hours...and seconds until Christmas. The seed for this fever would be planted just after Halloween. There was many a November 1st when I would say to myself, 'Gee.....I wish it was December 1st" By December 1st, at least you had something tangable to help with Christmas Fever...the advent calendar. I had two that I can remember....and I saved them every year so I'd have a few.

The First known advent calendar was introduced by Gerhard Lang in 1908. Was simply 24 colored pictures....which was soon improved by adding doors.

The first 9 days were tough....but when you got to double digits....you atleast knew you were getting somewhere. When you got to the twentys....who boy....there was not much time left.

I still have the advent calendars.....alas I don't use them...but it is a part of Christmas past I'll always think fondly on.



Here it is. The teaser poster for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It's good to see a weathered Indy, still ready to kick butt. I am very much anticipating this film. After a long stretch of no TV....bring on the good movies!

No comments: